One day while I was working, I was really, really hungry. My sister promised that she would have roasted broccoli waiting for me when I got home– for a price. I was to go to Trader Joe’s the following day to get a tube of polenta.
My friend came over for lunch yesterday. When we were trying to decide what to make, I found that polenta in the pantry. We’re overloaded with tomatoes and basil, so… well. This is what came out of it. It’s marvellous– we’ve made it for lunch again today.
Polenta with Balsamic Tomatoes
- 1 tube of pre-cooked polenta
- 1-2 T olive oil
- 445g tomatoes, chopped
- 1 t olive oil (I used garlic olive oil)
- 1 t balsamic vinegar
- 1 small handful basil, chopped
- salt & pepper
- Cut the polenta into 1-centimeter-thick circles. Brush both sides of each with olive oil. Heat a pan over medium heat; cook polenta until browned on both sides (~5 minutes per side).
- Meanwhile, mix tomatoes, (1 teaspoon) olive oil, vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper. Serve polenta circles topped with tomato mixture.